I have nothing to say
and I am saying it and that is
poetry as I need it .



John Cage, Lecture on Nothing



We all have friends that we wish we talked to more.  Friends we think about all the time, who are genuinely an important part of our lives.  But we never talk to them.  After a seemingly arbitrary, yet tangible amount of time, you cross the threshold of "hi, how are you?" to "damn, I haven't talked to you in FOREVER!"

Once you pass that point, there's no going back.  The longer you wait to call, the more awkward it gets, the less you actually have to talk about.  You can't just pick up where you left off six months ago, and you can't fill them in on every detail.  It's a cruel cycle.  So what do you do?  Give the most important events and whatever else you can, while trying not to have a 2 hour phone conversation.  Then you vow to talk more often.  Then you don't talk for another six months.  Trust me, i'm good at this.

Right now, the blog is no different.  I want to write in it, but I am in a state of paralysis; I haven't written in so long, I don't know how to start again.  I guess I should follow the same protocol as before.

Oh Hi, internet!  Thanks for calling.  It's been too long.  Yes, I know, i'm not the best at keeping in touch, but I promise i'll be better.  Sorry, I can't really talk now.  Can I call you tomorrow?  Great. See you then.

1 comments:

Auyon said...

Hey Matt,

You may not remember me, but we played together in a few youth symphonies in Kansas City. I am in KC for a few days, and I stopped by your dad's shop to get a bow re-haired and he mentioned you're up in New Haven and doing really well (congrats on the new quartet).

I'm currently managing and playing in a string rock quintet in Northampton, MA, just a few hours from New Haven. We occasionally have gigs in your area, so I just thought I'd drop you a line. You can check our stuff out at www.darlingside.com and www.myspace.com/darlingside.

Hit me up at auyon@darlingside.com, I'd love to hear what's good. Glad to hear you're still playing.

Best,

Auyon Mukharji

Post a Comment