I have nothing to say
and I am saying it and that is
poetry as I need it .



John Cage, Lecture on Nothing



So i'm watching the men's 5000M relay. That is a crazy sport. I especially like that instead of a baton, you push your teammate's butt to get them going.  It's just one big melee of men in foam helmets and unitards and butt-shoving.  In High School I struggled with the inherent contradiction of being a musician and a quasi-jock.  My music friends thought sports and my jock friends were stupid, and my jock friends thought that music was dumb and my music friends were nerdy.  In a way, everyone was right, and I was always wrong.

I was thinking about this this afternoon as I stopped practicing to watch the USA/Finland hockey game (which was, praise Jesus, on television).  Now as i'm watching speed skating, another thought came to me: what if, instead of Apolo Ohno and J. R. Celski, we had Luigi Nono and Giacinto Scelsi? I bet they would have a hard time going around in a circle 43 times. On the other hand, I bet their version of Summon the Heroes would be AWESOME.

Yep, that's all. Another failed reconciliation of sports and music.
Friends, commence eye rolling.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

i like this :)

Post a Comment