I have nothing to say
and I am saying it and that is
poetry as I need it .



John Cage, Lecture on Nothing



All anyone is talking about or thinking about this morning is last night's final episode of LOST.  I am one of those people.  Everything good and bad has been said, and there looks to be an equal divide among critics and fans.

Oh, and for those of you (alyssa) who haven't seen the final episode or even any of the sixth season, i'm going to do the impossible - review the end of LOST without spoilers. Read on, ye weary souls.

I'm just as divided as the critics and fans.  My gutteral reaction to the two and a half hour bonanza finale is that, based on pure emotion, it delivered.  The final episode had by far the most sincere emotion of the whole season, and, sadly, that was met with an overwhelming amount of cliche.  At times I felt like I was putting the words in their mouths--they brought the noise, but phoned in the dialogue.  For me the real problem with The End was not the episode itself, it was the sixth season as a whole.  They didn't explain everything, and you got the feeling that in the last hour, extended a few weeks ago to add 30 minutes, was an attempt to make up for all of the wasted episodes in season six.  I understand the intentional ambiguity, and I appreciate that it is an integral part of the show, but building the tension up so high and then pandering for whole episodes at a time was a great disappointment.

There's not much else I can say without spoilers.  I'm still affected by "The End," so that's it.
Now I understand why Peter and Brendan (not to mention Matt, Alison and sir James Bauman) kept me up all those nights in college.

0 comments:

Post a Comment